Huel v1.1 Unflavoured and Unsweetened Huel
After Huel v1.1 came a new product. Released on the 12th of October 2015, the unflavoured and unsweetened Huel was made available for purchase. Almost identical to Huel v1.1, the only difference was that unflavoured and unsweetened Huel contained no sweeteners or flavour. This was done so that Huelers could add their own flavours without any hint of vanilla being present. It also means that Huelers can, if they prefer, avoid sweeteners altogether with unflavoured and unsweetened Huel.
Huel v1.2. was released in October of 2015. This version of Huel only included one change, so was essentially update v.1.1.1. But the change that was made was an important one. The sweetness of vanilla Huel was dropped, down from 12.5% sweetness that was used in v1.1 and v1.0 previously, to 3% sweetness.
This was done after extensive customer feedback suggested that some people would enjoy a less sweet taste than had been available previously. The change also came at a similar time to the release of the Huel flavour pouches, which made their taste more noticeable when added to the vanilla Huel as well.
- Click here to view the v1.2 vanilla label
- Click here to view the v1.2 unflavoured and unsweetened label
Huel v1.2 Gluten Free Huel
On April 22nd 2016, gluten free Huel was released on a trial basis. This new version was exactly the same as Huel v1.2, with the only difference being that the oats were grown and processed in a gluten free environment, so there was no chance of them being contaminated. Though initially just a trial run, on June 24th 2016, it was announced that gluten free Huel would become a permanent feature for Huelers to use.
- Click here to view the v1.2 gluten free vanilla label
- Click here to view the v1.2 gluten free unflavoured and unsweetened label
Huel v2.0 was launched on the 22nd of July 2016. Our largest change of Huel to date, the main ingredients in Huel remained unchanged from the previous versions. However, the amount of each of the ingredients was tweaked and improvements incorporated, including:
1) Addition of Lutein and Zeaxanthin
These two phytonutrients are antioxidants that occur naturally in nature, and have both been shown that they may have a role in eye health.
2) Addition of Lycopene
Lycopene is a naturally occurring carotenoid phytonutrient with a range of benefits including slowing the ageing process, reduce cardiovascular disease risk and reduce the risk of some cancers.
3) More vitamins and minerals from natural food sources
We were able to reduce the amounts of some of the added vitamins and minerals in our bespoke vitamin and mineral blend.
4) Replaced Folic Acid with L-methylfolate Calcium (1,000 times more expensive than folic acid)
We’re now using L-methylfolate calcium, the biologically active form of folate instead of synthetic folic acid.
5) Optimised the ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3 polyunsaturates
We tweaked the ratio of omega-6 and omega-3 polyunsaturates to an optimum ratio for cardiovascular health.
6) Xylitol is now the principal carrier for our bespoke vitamin and mineral blend
Previously the principal carrier was maltodextrin, but in v2.0, we replaced this with xylitol a natural ingredient.
7) Addition of finely ground sea salt
We added a small amount of finely ground sea salt to help maintain adequate sodium intake.
To view in depth changes to v2.0 and all the references, read our principal changes to v2.0.
- Click here to view the v2.0 vanilla label
- Click here to view the v2.0 unflavoured and unsweetened label
- Click here to view the v2.0 gluten free vanilla label
- Click here to view the v2.0 gluten free unflavoured and unsweetened label
Version 2.1 was launched on the 1st of November 2016.
As before with v2.0, the main ingredients in Huel are unchanged. These and the majority of the other additions remain integral parts of the Huel 2.1 formula, as well as:
1) Removal of Sodium Fluoride
Fluoride is an essential nutrient and is crucial for dental health. However, the inclusion of fluoride in Huel was unpopular so we felt we should listen to our consumers and remove it.
2) Addition of Vitamin K2
In Huel v1.2 and v2.0, the requirements for vitamin K were met from the vitamin K1. However, additional advantages from consuming vitamin K2 have been demonstrated and thus was added on top of the K1 that was present in v2.0
3) Switching back to cyanocobalamin as our B12 source
We switched back to cyanocobalamin as our B12 source in v2.1 due to concerns over it's bio availability.
4) Removal of sea salt
To view in depth changes to v2.1 and all the references, read our principal changes to v2.1.
On the 15th of February 2017, Huel announced the inclusion of a finer grade of flaxseed to Huel Powder. This did not change the nutritional profile of Huel at all, but did mean the particle size of the flaxseed in Huel was made smaller in line with customer feedback.
- Click here to view the v2.1 vanilla label
- Click here to view the v2.1 unflavoured and unsweetened label
- Click here to view the v2.1 gluten free vanilla label
- Click here to view the v2.1 gluten free unflavoured and unsweetened label
27th October 2015 - Four flavour pouches, strawberry, toffee, rhubarb and custard, and mocha were made available for Huelers to add to either vanilla or unflavoured and unsweetened Huel. These flavour pouches, whilst still being vegan, also contained no Sucralose, instead using the natural plant based sweetener Stevia.
17th February 2016 - Three more flavour pouches were added, including Chocolate, Banana, and Pineapple and Coconut.